History of the Catholic Church & Saint Bridget in Framingham

1834 First public Mass celebrated in the Knight Home at Saxonville, the first Sunday of May, 1834, by Rev. James Fitton.
1842 Purchase of “Indian Hill” in Saxonville for the site of the future “St. George’s” Catholic Church.
1848 Dedication of St. George’s Church, Saxonville, by Rt. Rev. Benedict Fenwick.
1869 The wooden church edifice on Main Street was bought from the Universalist Society by Rev. Michael Walsh for St. Bridget’s Church.
1875 First Mass celebrated in South Framingham by Rev. Antonio Rossi.
1878 St. Bridget’s Parish formed, to include Ashland and South Framingham.
1883 St. Stephen’s Parish organized, including St. Bridget’s as a Mission.
1883 Cornerstone of St. Stephen’s Church laid.
1884 First Mass celebrated in St. Stephen’s Church.
1908 St. Tarcisius’ Church formed by Rev. Pietro Maschi.
1911 St. Bridget’s Parish re-established.
1930 New St. Bridget’s Church construction begun.
1931 First Mass in the new St. Bridget’s Church celebrated.
1934 Cornerstone laying at new St. Bridget’s Church.
1953 75th Anniversary of St. Bridget’s Church.
1958 St. Jeremiah Parish is established off Water Street in North Framingham.
1958 St. Bridget School, consisting of sixteen classrooms and offices was dedicated on September 14, 1958, by the then Rev. Richard J. Cushing, D.D., Archbishop of Boston.
1959 St. Bridget Convent, providing accommodations for twenty sisters, was dedicated in August.
1961 Our Lady Chapel, or lower church, was completed at St. Bridget’s and dedicated on December 17, 1961, by the Most Rev. Eric F. MacKenzie, Auxiliary Bishop of Boston.
1968 St. Bridget’s new Rectory at 15 Wheeler Avenue was completed. The occasion was observed with an Open House on June 2, 1968.
1983 Rev. Francis V. Strahan appointed Pastor of St. Bridget’s Parish.
1984 Adoption of our Sister Parish, Most Holy Redeemer, in East Boston, and its Crossroads Shelter.
1991 Establishment of the St. Bridget’s Food Pantry.
1994 Extensive refurbishment of the old convent for parish and school use (the Parish Renewal Center), dedicated to Sr. Mary Callahan, former Director of Religious Education at St. Bridget’s.
1998 Our Pastor is named Prelate of Honor of His Holiness Pope John Paul II, receiving the title of Monsignor.
1999 St. Bridget’s Parish celebrates the 40th anniversary of Monsignor Strahan’s Ordination to the Priesthood.
2008 St. Bridget School celebrates its 50th anniversary 
2009 St. Bridget’s Parish celebrates the 50th anniversary of Monsignor Strahan’s Ordination to the Priesthood.